Friday, April 6, 2012

The Lincoln Lawyer


The Lincoln Lawyer
by Michael Connelly

2005
544 pages, 11 CDs

Read: April 2012


"Mickey Haller has spent all his professional life afraid that he wouldn't recognize innocence if it stood right in front of him. But what he should have been on the watch for was evil.  Haller is a Lincoln Lawyer, a criminal defense pro who operates out of the backseat of his Lincoln Town Car, to defend the clients at the bottom of the legal food chain. It's no wonder that he is despised by cops, prosecutors, and even some of his own clients.
From bikers to con artists to drunk drivers and drug dealers, they're all on Mickey Haller's client list. But when a Beverly Hills rich boy is arrested for brutally beating a woman, Haller has his first high-paying client in years. It's a franchise case and he's sure it will be a slam dunk in the courtroom. For once, he may be defending a client who is actually innocent.
But an investigator is murdered for getting too close to the truth and Haller quickly discovers that his search for innocence has taken him face-to-face with a kind of evil as pure as a flame. To escape without being burned, Haller must use all of his skills to manipulate a system in which he no longer believes." Barnes & Noble Description

I loved it!  This was exactly the book to get me out of my slump.  I forgot how much I missed the legal thrillers of the likes of John Grisham.  I've never read anything by Michael Connelly and this was a fantastic place to start.  I hope to read more of the Mickey Haller series!

When I first picked up the audio book at the library, I didn't realize there was a movie until I saw the cover.  It's the cover with Matthew McConaughey sitting on the hood of a Lincoln.  I was so excited to read it and then watch the movie.  Especially with Matthew McConaughey....=)

As I listened, I got the feeling that this was going to turn out like the movie Primal Fear. If you haven't seen that movie, I suggest you run, not walk to the nearest Redbox rental cube or Netflix queue and watch it.  We loved it and I've been a big fan of Edward Norton ever since.  Anyway, back to the book.  I got the feeling that there was going to be a huge twist at the end.  I wasn't disappointed because there were several.  Things I didn't see coming.  That makes for a great edge of your seat thriller.

I watched the movie shortly after and it was very good, a little slower paced than the book but still a good movie.  The only thing I didn't like is that the ending is slightly different.   However, the movie ending made for better television, I think.  Oh and Ryan Phillippe doesn't make a very good sinister character, he's too cute.  All in all, the movie and the book were very good.

No comments: