Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Midweek Morsels: Beef Stroganoff


These last few weeks I've been learning to use what we've already got in the cabinets and fridge.  This week is a prime example.  Last month in my big grocery shopping spree, one of the meals I picked up ingredients for was a slow cooker beef stroganoff.  When I got home and realized that the recipe called for some prep time beforehand, I cringed and put it in the back of the recipe folder.  I mainly try to make slow cooker meals for those days where I know it's going to be hard to make a meal once I get home.  On Wednesdays I have a class at church so that is usually slow cooker day.  This past Saturday I was looking for something to cook and almost went out to buy something for dinner until I remembered this recipe.  It was Saturday and I didn't have anywhere to be.  This recipe is from the Taste of Home magazine.   It's delicious and flexible =)


 Ingredients
2lbs beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup water
1 envelope beef stroganoff seasoning for the slow cooker
1 lb sliced baby portobello mushrooms
1 small onion, chopped
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup port wine or beef broth
2 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 cups sour cream
Hot cooked egg noodles
Minced fresh parsley, optional

Directions
In a large skillet, brown meat in oil.  Add water and seasoning mix, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.  Transfer meat and drippings to a 3 qt slow cooker. 
In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender.  Combine the wine, mustard and sugar; stir into mushroom mixture.  Add to slow cooker; stir to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.  Stir in sour cream.  Serve with noodles, sprinkle with parsley if desired.

The reason this recipe is flexible is because I made the mistake of sending my husband for beef stew chunks for this recipe.  I didn't realize it until the morning I went to make it, but he came back with 0.81 lbs of stew meat.  When I read the recipe and saw that I actually needed 2 lbs, I improvised....with 1lb of ground beef!  It was so perfect for this recipe!  We ate it over rice instead of noodles and it was great because I had a little too much sauce and it soaked it all up.  Very very good!  My brother-in-law even stopped by and had a few bowls =)

No comments: