Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman

Skeleton Creek is one of those small towns where everyone knows everything about everyone. One day, best friends Ryan and Sarah decide to go exploring. Their trek takes them deep into the woods to an old dredge used when the town was mining for gold during the gold rush. On this particular trip, Ryan sees something and falls and injures his leg along with sustaining a concussion. Their parents seem to think they're bad for each other and forbid them any contact. So Sarah continues to investigate the dredge, and they begin to think it's haunted. As the investigation continues, Sarah and Ryan start secretly emailing each other. Sarah videotapes her expeditions and posts them online for Ryan's eyes only. Each video requires a password, so we can play along.

This was the most fun I've ever had reading a book. I wish there were more like this when I was younger. Patrick Carman will definitely accomplish what he set out to do - keep kids reading! With technology the way it is today, we are always on the internet. Combining the internet and reading brings the fun back into it for the children. I love this concept! The reader is caught up in the story and can't wait to get to the next video. Young readers everywhere will screaming for a sequel!! I know I am!

5 comments:

Natasha @ Maw Books said...

I'm so happy that you liked this one. I have it sitting right here ready to read. I'm totally curious to see if this type of format works.

Kristina said...

I think you'll love it!!

J. Kaye Oldner said...

I am thrilled to hear this! :) I have it in my TBR pile and the kids are threatening to read it first if I don't hurry up.

Tony said...

I know I already told you I was going to look into this book. Reading your review has solidified my intentions to read it.

Tony Peters
Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping
www.tonypeters.webs.com
www.eloquentbooks.com/KidsonaCase.html

Literary Feline said...

This does sound like a fun one, Kristina. I am glad you enjoyed it. Great review!